Film: Tiny Furniture (2010)





On Sunday, Claudia, Karina and I went to the IFC Center to see Tiny Furniture, written and directed by Lena Dunham. If you haven't heard the buzz around this one yet, let me give you a little background.

It's a semi-autobiographical account of Aura, a 22 year-old recent college grad who moves back to her family home, which happens to be a super nice loft in Tribeca. In typical post-college fashion, Aura is sort of a mess. With no job, no relationship and no clear direction on what to do, the story is about her trying to figure it all out. Along the way she reconnects with her kooky childhood friend, played by Dunham's real life friend, Jemima Kirke and flirts with the idea of two "he's so wrong for you" kind of men. Aura is incredibly honest, vulnerable, and sometimes cringe-worthy endearing. And what's most impressive is that because it's semi-autobiographical, the whole time during the movie I kept thinking of how proud I was of Aura/Dunham because it meant that at some point, she got her life together enough to write a feature length film and then received a ton of press and even some awards.

Also worth mentioning - her real life mother and real life sister play her mother and sister in the film. It was really interesting to see how well they acted together and how natural it all felt. And it was nice to see the sister dynamic on screen because if there's one thing the ladies of DOPT can relate to, it's relationships between sisters.

If this movie is playing near you, I highly, highly recommend it. It's fresh, incredibly relevant to our generation, and funny. You can see the trailer for it below.



And if you like Dunham's style, be sure to check out her even funnier web series, Delusional Downtown Divas. It's amazing.

6 comments:

Sandy Guttman :

Delusional Downtown Divas is one of my favorite internet finds of 2010!!! I'm still waiting to see Tiny Furniture, but the soundtrack is super good.

love this post!

Sandy

Lisa Michelle Cifuentes :

Hey Sandy! If you like DDD, then I think you'll like Tiny Furniture. If you see it, let me know. I'm dying to talk to more people about it!

Platform :

I can't stop thinking about this film! Dunham is so brilliant. I can't wait to see where her career goes!

xx

Diana Mieczan :

Sounds like a great film to see. Thanks for that! Wish you a lovely day
Kisses

Kattia-San Francisco My Song :

I want to see it so bad!!! DDD is genius!

Stephanie :

Thanks for sharing! Looks so interesting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

DREAMING OF PALM TREES All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger