Art from Miami: Hernan Bas


The Merger, 2005, acrylic, gouache, watercolor and oil pastel on paper, 30 1/4 x 22 1/2 in. (76.8 x 57.1 cm), Rubell Family Collection, Miami


The Burden (I Shall Leave No Memoirs), 2006, acrylic and gouache on linen, 20 x 16 in. (50.8 x 40.6 cm), Rubell Family Collection, Miami

Next week, Claudia and I are heading back to Miami for Art Basel. We grew up between Miami and New York and even though we're all settled here now, including our parents, going back there always feels like going home. Miami is one of the prettiest places and if you look beyond its reputation as a superficial party city, you'll actually discover there is a lot of rich history to explore and in the past decade alone, has grown significantly in terms of art and culture.

One of my favorite artists to come out of Miami in the past several years has to be Hernan Bas. He is a relatively young artist whose work can be described as very romantic and melancholic. I remember the first time I ever saw his art was in 2002 at the Fredric Snitzer Gallery for his exhibit, First Comes the Blood, Then Come the Boys. I was drawn to his work because there was something mysterious and enigmatic to it, and of course as a young collegiate, I highly romanticized anything that seemed esoteric. Since 2002, I believe his style has grown to be even more complex and he has gained well deserved recognition. The last time I saw his work for example, was at the Brooklyn Museum last year. And although I don't think he will have any shows during Art Basel, seeing his work again now reminds me of how much talent is in Miami and it thrills me to know I will be back again next week!

Bas' next New York exhibit will be in 2011 at the Lehmann Maupin gallery.

Stay tuned for a more in-depth Art Basel Guide next week!

8 comments:

Dreaming of Palm Trees :

Wish I was going with you guys! Next time. ;)

xoxo,
Karina
DOPT

Kattia-San Francisco My Song :

me too!!!

have fun and say hello to the art for me!

iheartkiwi :

I love the colors in the first one! Can't wait to see more!

Danielle :

These are incredible! I'll definitely have to check out his exhibit when it comes to New York.

-Danielle
http://daniellemsolomon.blogspot.com

k :

How neat that you attend these shows and everything, I love art shows! I really like the darkness of that 2nd painting a lot..

Rebecca :

i love the vivid colours, the burden's amazing!

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

ashley mcconnell :

Love these images! Looking forward to the Art Basel Guide. Keep me posted!

x

daretounravel.blogspot.com

zs closet :

I love the colours!!xx

www.zscloset.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

DREAMING OF PALM TREES All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger